Score another point for Meetup…and Bunco! SIHB member, Georgette, owner of The Girl Cave in Huntington Beach reached out to her Meetup Group to announce a Bunco Fundraiser. When Elissa heard about it, she asked Geogette what is Soroptimist? Georgette explained. Elissa came to our Bunco Fundraiser….And even though Elissa lives in Whittier…she decided to join our group…this past December.
Elissa was unaware of Soroptimist before she spoke with Georgette and when she experienced for herself, the impact we had on the lives of women and their families, she was drawn to our cause, improving the lives of women and girls…and equally as important, to SI Huntington Beach! In her own words, “The opportunities the ladies have had after receiving mentoring, funds and scholarships (Live Your Dream Awards) is life changing, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to be a small part of it.”
So for Elissa, becoming a Soroptimist has given her the chance to make a difference in lives of women and girls and she has jumped right in.
Although Elissa hasn’t joined the board yet (we’ll give her a year), she is already an active member of the club.
So…let’s get to know Elissa a little bit better….
- She is a retired account manager/inside sales.
- She and her husband, Jerry, have dedicated one of their bedrooms as Elissa’s Craft Room where she spends a few days a week crafting shabby chic Victorian wreaths, decoupage boxes and more and anticipates re-opening her Etsy store. To learn more about Elissa’s Etsy store, including its name, you will need to ask Elissa the next time you see her.
- Elissa loves to take walk in a nearby, “lovely” park, and she is a member of the YMCA where her husband, Jerry, is a personal trainer. To find out if Elissa trains with Jerry, you will have to ask her 🙂
- Along with Soroptimist, Elissa is involved with a church group that helps underemployed families – mainly single mothers. She actively gives and provides staples when needed.
- When asked what her hobbies are, Elissa replied art, crafting and wine tasting…so easy to see why Elissa fits in so well with us!
- Elissa and Jerry like to travel for fun and recently has gone to Napa, Carmel, Pismo Beach and Paso Robles (at least 2 of those areas known for wine). They also spend a week during the summer with family in Carpenteria….and Elissa enjoys a sister reunion at least once a year with her sister who lives in Port Angeles, Washington. And…what do the sisters do when they are together? They stay in bed and breakfast places, go to music festivals and guess what….? They go wine tasting!
- Elissa met her “wonderful” husband in church and this past May, they celebrated their 42nd anniversary!
- Elissa says she and Jerry are “polar opposites”: he: type A, extremely outgoing; she:needs to warm up to people…but, according to Elissa, “we have weathered many storms over the years and are now pretty darn happy together.”
- Elissa and Jerry have two grown children: Leah, 39, who is single and will begin classes this year to become and therapist and Michael, 37, who is married to Jen, is a lineman apprentice with the electric company, City of Burbank, and who has two children, granddaughers Avery and Vivien. Elissa says Jerry is a “fabulous grandpa”, and I would be willing to bet she is a fabulous grandma, too.
- If Elissa could describe herself in one word, it would be caring.
We are honored that Elissa chose to become a member of Soroptimist International Huntington Beach and are looking forward to many years of friendship and service with her!