Our SI Huntington Beach year ended on June 22nd when we bid a fond farewell to our outgoing board and welcomed our incoming board.
Before outgoing President Georgette handed the torch to incoming President Marcelle, she reminded us of what we had accomplished during our 2016-17 Soroptimist year.
Here it is…..
- Made 18 beautiful new-sew blankets and donated them to C.A.R.E. Orange Coast College
- Provided Halloween costumes, pumpkins and trick or treat bags to our two Dolly Wakeham families
- Purchased a mixer for our Dolly Wakeham mom Megan as an early birthday present so that she could use it for her midterm exams for her culinary classes
- Donated pantry items to C.A.R.E. Orange Coast College multiple times throughout the club year
- Assembled meals to feed hundreds of homeless people at Temple Beth Shalom for their Mitzvah Meals program
- Donated $600 to the HB Youth Shelter and earned our snowflake on the HB Pier
- Provided Halloween decorations and pantry items for the C.A.R.E. Goldenwest College Halloween party
- Mailed off a very full bag of clothing and purses to the Malala Fund
- Purchased a refurbished PC for our volunteer graphic artist extraordinaire – Janet Slinkard
- Donated approximately 30 beautiful dolls for women suffering from Alzheimers after learning from a guest that caring for the baby dolls often helps sooth them when agitated
- Donated a $100 visa card to the HB Youth Shelter so they could take the kids to the movies during the holiday season
- Showered our two Dolly Wakeham families with Christmas gifts and love
- Donated 2 bikes and helmets to Project Self Sufficiency for their holiday party
- Showed our support for an incredibly inspirational human trafficking survivor by having her speak at our January program meeting and purchasing several of her Hero Bands
- Donated $100 to a past Dolly Wakeham mom who needed help with school supplies
- Donated money to the HB Senior center to purchase a vacuum for one woman and to pay for a cleaning service for another senior woman in need
- Handed out $4500 in Live Your Dream awards to four very deserving recipients
- Donated $1000 to Kathy Tillotson of Build Futures to help her wonderful organization
- Held our signature Day of Self Esteem, with 17 women getting pampered, receiving work clothing and goodies, and, most importantly, being shown that they are worthy, supported and loved
- Assembled 25 shoe boxes filled with toiletries and handmade cards for the Youth Shelter
- Donated $250 to a local human trafficking organization to use for purchasing crafts for a party they threw for some of the survivors they work with
- Provided Easter cards and baskets for our Dolly Wakeham families
- Donated multiple gift cards and a silent auction basket at the District Spring Conference
- Gave $100 to one of our Dolly Wakeham moms to purchase a car battery
- Worked in conjunction with the boys from a local Lions Heart Club to donate 20 Mother’s Day gift bags to C.A.R.E. Goldenwest College
- Donated $1,138 to Soroptimist International for Club Giving
- Awarded a $1,250 scholarship to a Project Self Sufficiency participant
- Gave $100 gift cards to two of our past and one current Live Your Dream award winners who were graduating from college
- Gave a final donation of $100 to each of our Dolly Wakeham moms
- Gifted a 1 year Soroptimist of Huntington Beach membership to volunteer Janet Slinkard to thank her for all of the support she has shown our club
- Sponsored a little girl in Haiti so that she may attend school
- Awarded our $500 annual Catou Defriend Scholarship to a Huntington Beach HS Student
Whew…..and this year we will accomplish even more in the area of service as we implement our Dream It Be It partnership with SI Newport Harbor Area.
Thank you to all who helped us improve the lives of women and girls locally and around the world!