Here is a sampling of the awards and service projects that Soroptimist International of Huntington Beach supports through our fundraising efforts.
- Live Your Dream: Education & Training Awards for Women – The Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards (formerly the Women’s Opportunity Awards) assists women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills and employment prospects. To apply for this Award, click here.
- Dream It, Be It – Dream It, Be It targets girls in secondary school who face obstacles to their future success. It provides girls with access to professional role models, career education and the resources to live their dreams. Soroptimist clubs in 19 countries and territories work in partnership with girls in small groups or a conference setting to provide them with the information and resources they want and need to be successful. The topics covered include career opportunities, setting and achieving goals, overcoming obstacles to success and how to move forward after setbacks or failures.
- Dolly Wakeham Award – Each year SI-HB adopts a single mom (or two) and her family(s). Our objective is simple: to support and mentor and to make each holiday and occasion a joyous one. The award is named for Dolly Wakeham, a Huntington Beach Soroptimist who passed away and left a small trust fund so that her legacy would live on. The interest from that trust fund is the basis for the award which is augmented (financially and by physical gifts) by the club, its members and donations from caring people in our community.
- Project Self Sufficiency (PSS) is a program for low income single parents and disadvantaged citizens. All (moms and dads) must be enrolled in school or job training, meet HUD low-income requirements and live, work or be in school in Orange County.. Throughout the year, club members donate food, clothing, etc. to the program and volunteer at various events for the families. SIHB also provides a scholarship for a PSS mom each year.
- Annual Fundraisers – SIHB has a variety of fundraising events throughout, including: wine tasting, a fun fashion show and a walk to make a difference.
SERVICE PROJECTS INCLUDE:
- Golden West College Returning Veteran’s Resource Center (for Women)
- Mitzvah Meals at Temple Beth Shalom
- Mary’s Path
- Huntington Beach Youth Shelter
- The CARE Programs at Golden West College, Orange Coast College & Coastline College
- Haitian Outreach
- The Huntington Beach Senior Center – help for a Senior Woman
To support these and other Soroptimist International of Huntington Beach’s ongoing projects, please click on our Donate Now button on the top right of this page or send a check to:
P.O. Box 1306
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
SIHB Club Tax Status
501(c) (3) Charitable Organization
Tax ID# 95-6122426